Friday, September 3, 2010

Memorial of Pope Saint Gregory the Great


Fr Ken and friends in Ruby Tuesdays
Hampton, Virginia

I do not even pass judgment on myself.

A religion does not necessarily encourage an individual to explore her own inner mystery, or to reflect upon her own experience. Religion often simply reinforces a person’s station in society. It might say to a woman, “You are a wife, mother and grandmother. Play your part.” Or to a man, “You are a husband, father and breadwinner, and nothing more!”
Beginning with the Israelite prophets, our religion allows room for the Holy Spirit to direct at least some people inward. I think of Isaiah in the temple. When he saw the vision of God on his throne and the thundering question, “Whom shall I send?” he piped up, “Here I am; send me;” or Jeremiah’s complaint, “Oh Lord, I am too young;” or Hosea’s horrified discovery that he must remain faithful to his unfaithful wife. 
In the New Testament, Saint Paul trod that lonely road as he announced the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are no longer surprised that the Jews largely refused to follow Paul, but he was stunned by that, even after he had also made every effort to suppress the new “way.” Gentiles too plagued him as his new religion realigned economic interests. And perhaps most surprising, his fellow Christians often blocked his path.
Where he should have found a supportive community eager to provide his food and drink and lodging, he was often left to his own resources – financial, physical, emotional and spiritual.
In today’s first reading, Saint Paul objects to the judgments the Thessalonians are passing on him. They seem to think he cheated them of something. He cries, “Stop judging me! I do not even pass judgment on myself.”
To walk in the way of faith as Saint Paul described this astonishing new way, is to shed the baggage of judgment.
“Am I successful?”
“Am I pretty?”
“Am I loved?”
“Am I safe?”
“Am I good?”
“Am I saved?”
“Does my life have meaning?”
“Am I worthy?”
None of that is important. Or, at least, it’s none of my business. They are all God’s problems; he alone can handle them.
I should only follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit as best I can. Where I fail I will repent if and when I become aware of it. Where I succeed I will thank God for the wonders I have seen, who can use such a foolish person as myself.
In either case, I can shed the burden of self-judgment. I’ve got more important things to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.