Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wednesday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time


A place in the shade
at the MSF Picnic 2010

Every word of God is tested;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Add nothing to his words,
lest he reprove you, and you will be exposed as a deceiver.
A fellow in recovery once told me, “After I sobered up I discovered it’s so much simpler to tell the truth all the time. That way, I don’t have to keep track of what I told each person.”
He described an incredibly difficult and dangerous life. Lying, he told his wife one thing; his girl friend, something else; and his boss, a third story. How do you keep track of all these stories? After a while, you can’t remember which is true, if any is true. After a while, you don’t even know the truth. Talk about stress!
Life in the Lord is so much simpler. But it takes courage because we must continually own our shortcomings. “No, I didn’t finish that report.” “No, I didn’t wake up in time.” “Yes, I said that.”
The liar thinks he can control the stories people believe, and manipulate the way they think. Terrified of reality, he must continually control the illusions, like a juggler managing too many balls, plates, and bowling pins. When confronted with his own falsehood he echoes Chico Marx, “Well, who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?”

Some people doubt that the practice of faith is reasonable. But fidelity is far more reasonable and infinitely simpler than turning fiction to truth. 

2 comments:

  1. Amen! Brother. I have often said that to students. My brain is too small to be a good liar; I wouldn't be able to keep track of what I said to whom. It is also much more pleasant when you don't have to keep looking over your shoulder and worry about who may pop up with a different story. Just tell the truth and live in the light.

    PS I do love looking at the pictures you post on your blog. It is another look at the way Ken Bartsch looks at the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Martha. Telling the truth makes so much sense.
    I broke my camera when I broke a rib last week, but I'm in the process of getting a new one (Camera, the rib will have to be repaired). In the meanwhile, I've got a backlog of pretty good pics.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.