Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Memorial of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton,



Beloved, let us love one another,
because love is of God;
everyone who loves is begotten by God and knows God.

During the post-Christmas season the lectionary offers the First Letter of Saint John for our reflection. This letter appears to be an introduction to and clarification of the Gospel of Saint John, and written by the same author. He wants to make explicit what might not have been perfectly clear to readers of the Gospel; and especially his doctrine of the love we must have for one another.
There is a great stress in the Gospel of John on the personal relationship each Christian should have with Jesus. It’s not enough just to belong to the Church. For instance, where the disciples distribute the bread to the hungry crowd in the synoptic gospels, Jesus personally gives it to each man in the Gospel of John. The fourth gospel also suggests the vine as metaphor for church. Although a vine can be a tangled mass of branches and leaves, it’s not hard to see which branches have broken from the vine. They’re dead, crumbling and should be torn out. Only the branch that is connected directly to the vine can flourish. Only the Christian who knows Jesus personally can flourish. Finally the Fourth Gospel depicts a crisis when each Christian disciple must decide to follow or not to follow the Lord.
So there is enormous stress on the individual Christian’s relationship with Jesus. Perhaps too much. And so the writer reminds us in his Letter that we must love one another.
Americans are particularly enchanted with individuality. As Marlene Dietrich said, I want to be alone; or the cowboy:
Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in.

Solitude is a blessed place to meet God and the one who does not enjoy her own company is lonely indeed, but we need one another. It is easy to be generous, patient and courteous when there is no one around; but not so easy in the company of others. We must “work out” our salvation with others. That’s where it becomes real.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.