Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday after Epiphany


We love because he first loved us.

Saint John’s statement must be the A of the ABC’s of our religion. Until we understand that, we understand nothing at all.
The story is told of two Christians in conversation: one said, “If I did not know God loves me, I would not be able to get out of bed.”
To which the other replied, “If I believed God loves me I would not get out of bed!”
Perhaps that is an Irish Catholic joke, since the Irish suffered more than many from the Jansenist heresy. In any case, the practice of our faith begins when we recognize how deeply and passionately God loves us.
Without that confidence we simply cannot make the sacrifices that love requires. We will be like uprooted trees trying to produce fruit. Nothing will happen. Every gift we give will have so many strings attached it will be regarded more as a curse than a blessing. And the victims of our largess will want nothing but escape from us.
When I practiced karate some years ago, I found myself with a white belt working alongside black belts. They were there working on the fundamentals because every other movement must be built on the solid foundations of the art.
It said that Ray Charles spent hours each day practicing the musical scales. Master the basics and the rest will come easily.
We must spend time each day allowing God to bathe us in his love. Drink water and notice how good it is, so much more satisfying than coffee, tea or soda. Breathe air each day and notice how lovely it is. Why would anyone pollute clean air with burning tobacco? Admire the loveliness of people all around you. They don’t have to change to win your love. They’re perfect just as they are.
If you can’t see any beauty around you notice the beauty of your eyes which can see beauty; and the hands that can touch beauty, and the ears that can hear it. You’re perfectly lovely in God’s sight.
As the saints have told us so often: With love the impossible is rendered easy; and without love even the easy is impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.