Sunday, January 16, 2011

Second Sunday in Ordinary Time


Now the Lord has spoken
who formed me as his servant from the womb,
that Jacob may be brought back to him
and Israel gathered to him;
and I am made glorious in the sight of the Lord,
and my God is now my strength!


Last week we celebrated the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord. We return this week to the same event to hear the testimony of Saint John the Baptist.

In the first reading from the Prophet Isaiah we hear the word of God addressed to “you”: “The Lord said to me: You are my servant, Israel, through whom I show my glory.”
Who is that “you” of whom the Prophet speaks? Who is the “I” who volunteers so readily in our psalm, “Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will?”
Is it John the Baptist or Jesus?

Isaiah’s prophesy – I will make you a light to the nations, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth. – would surely indicate Jesus. The Baptist insisted he was not the light but was only a voice to announce the coming of the light.

And yet John, like Jesus, was called from the womb. When Mary entered the home of Elizabeth and Zechariah the fetus jumped for joy at the coming of the Messiah. Even then, three months before he was born, he knew his vocation. Jesus and John eagerly await the summons of God and answer when it comes.

Obviously the “you” is both of them for both are prophets. And, I’m sure you’re way ahead of me, you know that you the reader are also the “servant Israel through whom I show my glory.”

That’s not hard to figure out. But I would have you reflect on this. Though the “you” refers to Jesus and John the Baptist and you the reader and me the preacher, this is not a plural you, as in you all.

The you is singular. Everyone who hears the word of God enters the mystery of Jesus and hears the word of God through him. You are baptized, eucharisted and anointed in him. We’re not talking about an amorphous crowd of people in which you or I might hide. Rather, the word is addressed to you and, in hearing it, you are in Christ Jesus and you are Christ Jesus. You hear the word as a very personal invitation. It has singled you out from the billions of people who live, have lived and will live and said, “I will make you a light to the nations.”

To live in Christ is to welcome this intense union with him. He becomes my identity. He is my privilege and duty and delight. And when I sin he is guilty for we are one flesh.

This realization -- that Jesus shares my guilt -- might frighten and shame me. But it is a status he claims for himself. He takes it on himself freely, generously and eagerly. I cannot and would not take it back from him.  

Rather, I forget that ‘small self’ that still wants to stand apart from God and join the congregation that sings his praises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.