Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday after Ash Wednesday


Why do we fast, and you do not see it?
afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?”
Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits,
and drive all your laborers.
Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting,
striking with wicked claw.

As we enter Lent we hear this passage from the Prophet Isaiah. The people ask a simple question: “Why does the Lord pay no attention to our pious practices?” And the Lord replies, “Because they have no effect in your lives.” 
Why is the most religious nation on earth continually at war? Because we are not a peaceful people. Our prayers end in “quarreling and fighting, striking with wicked claw.” Or, in our case, with drone missiles.

Already a quarter of our children grow up in poverty; millions of working men and women have no health care coverage, and ten percent of the population collects fifty percent of our gross national income. 

“Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits and drive all your laborers.

The American Experiment, as I understand it, is to discover if a nation can be governed by its own majority. They must be educated, virtuous, and free. They should be neither wealthy nor poor but living forever in that perilous zone called the "middle class." They sustain themselves with industry, insurance, and the opportunity for upward mobility among the poor. 
When the middle class, the poor and the wealthy agree that "Greed is good" the experiment is over. It has failed. We are no longer a nation unlike other nations; we have squandered our birthright for a bowl of porridge. 

Even as our warriors promote democracy around the world, it collapses here at home. American voters are easily bought off with campaign contributions. Paying little attention to the real world, cynical about politics, ignorant of economics, civics and religion, they are driven like sheep before the wolves of fear. They want only their entertainment: sports, implausible "reality" shows, and sitcoms; their gee-whiz gadgets;and their drugs: alcohol, cigarettes and prescription medicines. Meanwhile, as Lenin predicted, they sell the world the rope they need to hang them. 

“Foundations, once destroyed, what can the just do?” Psalm 11:3

During Lent Christians turn to prayer.
Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.


And then we do something that will restore the promises of opportunity to the poor, care for the sick, education for children and employment for everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.