Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday of the third week of Lent



For your name’s sake, O Lord, do not deliver us up forever,
or make void your covenant.
Do not take away your mercy from us,
for the sake of Abraham, your beloved,
Isaac your servant, and Israel your holy one


Last year I addressed Jesus’ parable of the wicked servant. This link will take you there.

Today’s first reading is Azariah’s song from the furnace, found in the Book of Daniel. You might remember this comical story about Emperor Nebuchadnezzar’s tossing the three young men into the fiery furnace. When they not only survived the ordeal but also sang God’s praises, he repented and believed in God. You don’t have to take this story as historical to understand its import; but, as Hamlet said to Horatio, “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

Azariah’s song demonstrates the joyously realistic nature of penance.
o        First of all, It’s about you, God! and not about me. Azariah prays, “do this for your name’s sake.”
Every time we recite the Our Father we say, “Hallowed be thy name!” What we want more than anything else is that God’s name be sung throughout the universe, and that will come on the Day of God’s mercy, justice, beauty and truth.
o        for the sake of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, To whom you promised to multiply their offspring like the stars of heaven, or the sand on the shore of the sea.
Repentance is returning to God’s people. It is a reconciliation of the council of holy ones. I always have to remember I didn’t become a Christian or a Catholic to improve the church, but to be improved by the church. The day I start thinking I am better than anyone in the Church is the day I leave it.
Repentance is also remembering the promises made to our ancestors. By sin I disinherit myself and renounce all hope for salvation.
o        For we are reduced, O Lord, beyond any other nation,
brought low everywhere in the world this day
because of our sins.

Azariah speaks frankly of the humiliation of his people. When Christians betray their faith the world pays no attention, but the Church suffers each loss. I know that from reading the anguished letters of parents and grandparents, praying for the return of their children to the Church.
o        We have in our day no prince, prophet, or leader,
no burnt offering, sacrifice, oblation, or incense,
no place to offer first fruits, to find favor with you.
But with contrite heart and humble spirit
let us be received….
As he died, Jesus suffered the utter despair of which Azariah speaks. He had nothing to offer but his contrite heart and humbled spirit. I think of that old American hymn, Just as I am….
As we hope for salvation, we offer our sorrowful hearts and humble spirits with him.
o        but deal with us in your kindness and great mercy.
Deliver us by your wonders,
and bring glory to your name, O Lord.”
True repentance must suppress the attitude of entitlement and revive our hope. Profoundly aware of our unworthiness and knowing that God owes us nothing, we hear the good news of his mercy and our souls rise with resurrected hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.