Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday of the Second Week of Lent


Who is there like you, the God who removes guilt
and pardons sin for the remnant of his inheritance;
Who does not persist in anger forever,
but delights rather in clemency,
And will again have compassion on us,
treading underfoot our guilt?

Christians live within a paradox. It contains so much tension it might be called a crucible, an unbearable situation. God has called us to live an ideal that God knows is possible and realistic. But we continually find it impossible and we habitually fail to live up to it. God challenges us repeatedly, but his warnings seem only to weigh us down with paralyzing guilt. 
His revelation shows us the consequences of sin and we are appalled. Not only are men and woman and children neglected, wasted and killed; not only is our living environment trashed, not only do we live with a constant burden of guilt and the unwholesome stench of sin, but we discover too late that we have crucified the only one who could save us.  
That really should be the end of it. Deicide, to any rational soul, must be the final, irreversible, unforgivable, and irredeemable act. There can be no turning back from that decision.
And yet, by Jesus’ resurrection, God proves again his infinite love for us. To contemplate this story is to stand on the edge of a bottomless abyss calling, “Who is there like you?”
It is to stand with one’s back to the abyss, calling to an uncomprehending world saying, “Please, listen to this. I have seen this. I know this. There is still time!”
More – it is to know that we can live the ideal life God has given us, and we must. There can be no compromise with the way of perfection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.