Saturday, November 9, 2013

Feast of the Dedication of the Lateran Basilica in Rome

Lectionary: 671


The angel brought me back to the entrance of the temple, and I saw water flowing out from beneath the threshold of the temple toward the east, for the façade of the temple was toward the east; the water flowed down from the southern side of the temple, south of the altar. 
He led me outside by the north gate, and around to the outer gate facing the east, where I saw water trickling from the southern side. 

He said to me, “This water flows into the eastern district down upon the Arabah, and empties into the sea, the salt waters, which it makes fresh."


I visited Rome in 2002. What impressed me were the churches. Does that go without saying? 

There is much that is impressive in Rome. It's an overwhelming city. What I noticed about the churches is their age. I wondered if, when the Romans say they belong to such-and-such a church, they really mean they belong to that very building.

An American Catholic will say she belongs to a parish with its church. If the parish is old she will know the church caught fire once or twice and the parishioners rebuilt it. I've rarely come across an old parish that is still living within its original wooden-frame church.

The Roman seems to belong to that pile of stone there. It's old and dusty and slightly decrepit, but splendid with antiquity. It may well be a wonderful architectural piece as well. Most American churches are not, though many have spectacular windows. 
Seeing those piles of stone in Rome I wondered if the Roman thinks of eternity in terms of their buildings. Americans, picturing eternity, think of the Rocky Mountains, the Grand Canyon or the Mississippi, "that old man river." Our buildings are not meant to last but our canyons, glaciers, mountains and rivers should. When you go to Rome you'll know these buildings are going to be there a very long time. If someone knocks them down, someone else rebuilds them. 

When we celebrate the Dedication of the Basilica of Saint John Lateran we celebrate our tradition of building monuments of stone. We recall Saint Peter the Rock. We sing Rock of Ages. We should notice the rocks on our fingers, those lovely diamonds which were formed in stars of a long dead galaxy. 

Stones have the singular characteristic of not going anywhere. When you put it there it stays there until you or someone else moves it. A pile of stones can last a very long time, longer than most nations. 


The longest of four bridges at Mundelien Seminary
Such is our faith. It is dependable. Such is the Church. It is built of living stones. Lots of people take the Catholic Church for granted. Some fellows tell me they were baptized Catholic and they will die Catholic, though they've not been in a church in seventy years. 

We'll be there for them. One of the privileges of faith is being taken for granted, like stones. Like the Basilica of Saint John Lateran. It's there in Rome, ready when you are to visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.