Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 486





We, though many, are one Body in Christ
and individually parts of one another.
Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us,
let us exercise them....





Today's gospel carries a familiar feeling with it, one of urgency. There is not much time left. 

When I was a deacon, a priest invited me to give the keynote address of a nine-day novena in his church. They were celebrating the patroness of their church, Our Lady of Guadalupe. I should give a brief homily on the Trinity, the Blessed Sacrament and the Blessed Virgin Mary. This was to be my first experience of preaching to "real people." He assured me it didn't matter much if I failed to wow them; not many spoke English and I spoke no Spanish. 

When I arrived at the rectory, about an hour before the service was to begin, I found him alone in the parlor, cutting felt cloth into strips and gluing them onto banners that were to decorate the church for the novena. He was no more prepared than I was. 

We pulled it off anyway. The good people had grown accustomed to their clueless clergy. 

Often, when we're stressed with a big job and little time, we simplify. We do what needs to be done and let the rest go. In today's parable, the king's servants ran into the villages and crossroads, gathering everyone willy-nilly, deserving and undeserving into the banquet hall. 

What needs to be done under our present condition? There are as many answers as there are people.

As Christians and Catholics in an ever-changing nation, the most important thing we can do, it seems to me, is to welcome one another. If this democratic experiment works; if this city on a hill called the United States is to make a difference, it will be by our welcome to one another. 

Every nationality, every age, every ability and disability, every religion and sexual orientation is welcome. All have something to give and are welcome to contribute. Catholics, in particular, can show hospitality since we are the largest religious group in the country. Our religion speaks every language on Earth and our liturgy celebrates the Lord of Creation. 

We, though many, are one Body in Christ and individually parts of one another. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.