Friday, November 29, 2013

Friday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 507

...in the same way, when you see these things happening,
know that the Kingdom of God is near.
Amen, I say to you, this generation will not pass away
until all these things have taken place.
Heaven and earth will pass away, 
but my words will not pass away.”




On Sunday the Church enters another liturgical year. As the seasons flow into one another without sharp division, from winter to spring, from spring to summer, from summer to autumn, and autumn to winter -- so our liturgical cycle passes from the expectation of judgement to the expectation of salvation. 

I know little more of heaven than anyone else but I cannot imagine being human without this experience and expectation of cycles. We sleep and wake, we fast and eat, we laugh and cry: it's all good. Surely there will be cycles in eternity also. 

My sister spent a few years with her sailor husband in Hawaii. She missed the seasonal changes we grew up with in Kentucky. There were daily cycles; it rained every day. But it was never terribly cold or hot, and never dry. She was glad to return to the mid-west. 

One thing, however, will remain certain and stable. That  is the Word of God. The Incarnate Word of God will be our light and darkness, our privilege and pleasure, our gladness and joy. 

The Lord is my rock and my foundation, whom shall I fear. The Lord is the stronghold of my life. 


Jerusalem is built above the Jordan rift; it has always known earthquakes. But the scriptures describe the dependability of God; it's like a rock. 

The end of the year and the beginning of another may feel ominous to some of us. Will this be my last? Will we live to see another? 

We have no fear in God. 

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.