Sunday, November 17, 2013

Thirty-third Sunday of Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 159


It will lead to your giving testimony. 
Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand,
for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking
that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute. 
Saint Paul says of his ministry to the Thessalonians, "You know how one must imitate us. For we did not act in a disorderly way among you..." 
He goes on to say, "We wanted to present ourselves as a model for you, so that you might imitate us. "

As I grow in my joy at being a Catholic Christian I sometimes wonder that not everyone wants to join us. I contemplate Mary and the saints; I celebrate the Eucharist; I ponder the doctrine of the Holy Trinity; I recite the rosary. Why do so few want to join me in these joyous exercises? They seem infinitely more satisfying than smoking pot or casual sex.

It's not because our teachings and traditions are not fascinating and beautiful.

Jesus discouraged his disciples from preparing an elaborate defense before the ordeal of their arrest, prosecution, conviction and execution as martyrs. Their words would not make much difference, especially if they were not equally prepared to be silent.

Their testimony would be their presence, their faith, their confidence in God's vindication and their unwillingness to renounce their faith, hope and love. Their adversaries could not refute their joy.

The serenity of Christians remains the most convincing testimony about the Lord. Like him, Christians are happy to be here. They are happy to give what they can and grateful to receive what is offered. They don't get defensive because the only judge who matters is seated on a heavenly throne.

I don't believe the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche was correct when he said, "There was only one true Christian, and he died on the Cross." 


Perhaps he never met one.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Well said! I want to be a follower of Christ too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.