Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time





And the master commended that dishonest steward for acting prudently.
For the children of this world
are more prudent in dealing with their own generation
than the children of light.”



The beauty of Christianity is its ability to find the good within evil. Like the medieval alchemists we would transmute lead into gold. There is not much good that can be said about the dishonest steward in today’s gospel, except that he was a clever bastard. Sometimes we just have to laugh when someone pulls a fast one as he has done. When we have to account for the lost money, we call it "continuing education." 
I see in this parable an opening for realism and reason. Both can cool the fires and temper the expectations of idealism. We don’t expect a perfect world but we can hope for a better one.


Besides, no one really knows what a perfect world would look like. I have some notions but I’m sure they do not accommodate the needs, desires and hopes of everyone.  I am only a single white male. What do I know of perfection?
In this parable Jesus urges us to live in and deal with the real world. Christians celebrate and expect the Kingdom of God but we are not idealists. We know the difference between the best possible outcome and the attainable.


The cynic scoffs when we cite our ideals: that married couples are faithful as Jesus is to his Church; that parents love their children and never harm them; that children have the right to be raised by their own biological parents who are married to each other; and so forth. Human beings need to dream. The Church's dream is that of all humankind.
We cannot get up and go to work each day without some ambitious goals. Life, even luxurious life, would be sheer drudgery without the promise of a brighter future.
We need cynics to remind us to keep our feet on the ground. We can be satisfied with three steps forward, two steps back. Don’t expect too much, be happy with the way things are.


With his sense of humor Jesus reminds us to live in this world with its prudent children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.