Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Feast of Saint Matthias, Apostle

Lectionary: 564

“As the Father loves me, so I also love you.
Remain in my love.
If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love,


I first saw the painting A Girl and her Duenna by Bartolome Esteban Murillo when I was a student in Washington DC. I fell in love with the child. Whenever I get back to DC I visit her again. I have aged; she has not. If anything, she seems to get younger. I once thought she was about twenty; she looks more like thirteen now. I love her today more as a grandfather than a suitor but in either case I find her irresistible.

Jesus’ words in today’s gospel also retain their youth. Wisdom ever ancient, ever new does not age.

The challenge is to hear it afresh; to set aside whatever weariness and disappointment and frustration the command seems to have collected since we first heard it. Old stories of hurt and anger cling like the barnacles, teredos and algae that bearded wooden sailing ships. They drag against the gallant winds of the Holy Spirit. “’Love one another?’ Oh, not again.”

The Church was not old when Saint Peter and his band of brothers nominated Matthias to replace Judas Iscariot. But they knew frustration, fear, failure and disappointment. The Holy Spirit of Pentecost had not yet come upon them when they decided to fill out the number of twelve. What they were supposed to do with their reconstituted organization was not yet clear.

God would show them the way; God would provide the courage, wisdom, youth and energy to speak a word that would rouse them. In the meanwhile, God would provide a twelfth apostle.

Some people say, “Blood is thicker than water.” but the Lord has made Baptismal water more binding than blood. They also say, “You can choose your friends; you’re stuck with your family;” but the Lord elects our companions in the Church and commands us to love one another.

The Spirit makes it happen. She is the dancing bride who calls us out, makes us smile, and embraces us all in her love. Like Murillo’s girl, she laughs us into life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.