Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sixth Sunday of Easter

Lectionary: 55

I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live.
On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you.





A recent, very successful series of religious books was called Left Behind. The authors merged an outlandish interpretation of apocalyptic themes in the New Testament with modern angst. Presumably these Christians were serious when they proposed that God would abandon the vast majority of world's population to their own barbaric devices, without hope for salvation or the guidance of the Holy Spirit . 

The Death of God phenomenon, first described by the philosopher Nietzsche, has left billions of people feeling abandoned and homeless on their home planet. The story of God's disappearance began with the development of the scientific method and the belief that everything in this universe could be explained by science. At first inexplicable and uncontrollable things beyond the purview of science were supposed to be God's province; things like the weather and seismic activity and tsunamis. But eventually, they suppose, there is nothing that cannot be predicted "if we have a computer that's big enough and powerful enough." Even human behavior is predictable. 
In reference to God, determinists maintain, "I have no need for that hypothesis." 

Many of us, including the most devout Christians, don't suppose God takes part in every single event. He is "a god of the gaps." When I turn the ignition key I don't usually say a Hail Mary that the engine will start. If it fails to start I call a wrecker and haul it to a mechanic; I don't expect a priest's or bishops' blessing to fire up the engine; though I might be tempted to try one of the Tom Sawyer's devices when my computer fails, like swinging a dead cat by the tail. 

This secular, scientific imagination has left many thinking God doesn't care about our everyday world. Millions of people live their lives day in and day out, week after week, year after year without any reference to God. If they fail they blame it on themselves, someone else or bad karma. It's not God' fault. 

When our warriors witness or commit horrible atrocities, the inevitable consequence of war, they often experience "moral injury." Suddenly their assumptions about "right and wrong" collapse. It seems that good is not rewarded by God nor any other entity; nor is evil punished. If actions have consequences they cannot be predicted by principles of justice or mercy. The spiritually wounded warrior asks, "Why should I care? Why should I be faithful to my wife, care for my parents, raise my children, hold a job or plan beyond tomorrow? What difference can my efforts make if there is no justice?" 

In today's gospel Jesus assures his disciples, 
"I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live."
A few hours after making that promise, Jesus was arrested, vilified, condemned, tortured and crucified. He might have been left on the cross as food for flies and buzzards except for the Jewish feast of Passover. His disciples witnessed the death of God. There remained only his words, "You will see me because I live and you will live." 

Rarely have Christians been so challenged as we are today. We still have an enormous "infrastructure" of Christians churches and shrines. Many of them are museums and ruins in Europe, fascinating to Americans and Asians, meaningless to the natives who built them. 

Christians cannot live in museums and ruins. We find our hope and will to live and courage in the the words of Jesus. A week after his resurrection he said to Thomas, "You believe because you have seen, blessed are those who have not seen and believed."

He was speaking of us. We believe. We have looked at the options. We see people who have no faith; they trust only their good luck and survive by their wits, with a tenuous trust in law-abiding people. They avoid scrapes with the law because it's easier that way; they avoid conflict with disagreeable people by avoiding contact with them. They hope to survive long enough to die a natural death. When terrorists strike they hide in their homes and call themselves strong.

Living by faith in the Son of Mary, Christians can afford to be generous, cheerful, hopeful and courageous. Hearing his name, seeing his cross, tasting his body and blood, washed in the healing water that sprang from his side, we bring hope to the homeless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.