Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial of Saint Philip Neri, Priest

Lectionary: 291


I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you.”




Where the synoptic gospels cite Old Testament passages about the coming messiah, the Gospel of John refers back to Jesus’ own prophecies. He needs no greater authority than himself and we should not either. He warns us there will be persecutions. When they begin we should remember his warnings and understand with all the more assurance, “I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.”


Surely those who are tortured or hear the approach of their executioners know abandonment at its worse. Etty Hillesum, as she waited for extradition in a Nazi collection camp, knew the British and Americans were not coming to save the interned Jews. She heard her neighbors and friends reassure one another with the promise of deliverance "when the British and Americans arrive."  She was called inward to rely on a more mysterious promise.


Jesus knew futility as he waited on the cross; but, in the Gospel of John we do not hear his last, despairing cry, “Why have you abandoned me?” In the fourth gospel he retains the office of high priest, offering himself to God and surrendering his life when he chooses to do so – that is, when the hour had come to give his Beloved Disciple and his Mother to one another. 


As we ponder and pray through the Gospel of John during the Easter Season we should contemplate the absolute authority of Jesus. If we suffer hardship we cannot be surprised because he told us beforehand this would happen.


When someone tells me, “You’re going to turn left on such and such a road, and then you’re going to drive ten country miles….” I know I’m going to feel like I must have missed my turn. A country mile of narrow lanes, sharp turns, and unpaved dirt feels like twenty Interstate miles. I will often wonder "How much farther is it?", and "Do I have enough fuel to get there?" Remembering my friend’s assurance I persist on that long route to my destination.


Jesus has walked this way ahead of us; he walks it again with us. “Remember what I told you… do not be afraid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.