Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday of the Fifth Week of Easter



“This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this,
to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.


In the first book of the Bible we learn that the Lord fears the possibility of men becoming “like one of us.” Not only do they know good and evil as a result of eating from the tree, they might have endless life.

Then the LORD God said: See! The man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil! Now, what if he also reaches out his hand to take fruit from the tree of life, and eats of it and lives forever?
The LORD God therefore banished him from the Garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he had been taken. He expelled the man, stationing the cherubim and the fiery revolving sword east of the Garden of Eden, to guard the way to the tree of life.

In today’s gospel the Lord reverses that policy. He invites us to become like God in our love for one another. The way is open to us through a tree which was not found in Eden. We need have no fear of a cherubim or fiery, revolving sword when we approach it. The cross can be found anywhere we look, in city and in countryside, in solitude and in crowds. It will find those who are not even looking!

The way of love is invariably marked by a cross. This is where romantics stumble. Lovers looking for love don’t expect it to be a difficult road. Right Person will make me happy; and pleasing Right Person will be a simple matter of being myself. He or she will find me adorable. The relationship will be heaven-sent, as natural as a key to its lock and a lock to its key.

The entertainment industry likes to make that boring boy-meets-girl plot more interesting with daunting challenges and insoluble problems which are resolved in a happy ending. Rarely does the story end in failure. I saw Pygmalion on stage in Ireland several years ago, and the movie My Fair Lady a few years later. In the original, there was no reconciliation. Henry Higgins was unbearable and Eliza Doolittle had no further need of him. But the musical movie had to end with Audrey Hepburn’s silent re-entrance. They could not leave well enough alone. 

Because our faith, unlike Hollywood, teaches us to expect the cross it prepares us better for the challenges. Life is not supposed to be easy; love is frankly impossible to those who cannot bear disappointment, frustration and suffering. But when we take up, embrace and carry the crosses the Lord has meted out to us, we find joy, satisfaction and our God-like capacity for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.