Monday, May 5, 2014

Monday of the Third Week of Easter

Lectionary: 273

So they said to him, “What can we do to accomplish the works of God?”
Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent.”


During this third week of Easter we always hear readings from John 6, in which Jesus speaks of the Bread of Life. Catholics are sorely tempted to claim complete ownership of this chapter; it is certainly the foundation text for the Mass and Eucharist.
In this Gospel Jesus insists that a relationship with him begins with the 29th verse, “This is the work of God, that you believe in the one he sent.” No one can suppose he knows Jesus if he does not believe in him. Knowing Jesus as a teacher, holy man, or prophet without believing in him is not sufficient. One cannot be acquainted with Jesus as if he were another historical personage, a Caesar Augustus or Charlemagne.

The crowd in this gospel asks an important question in an abstract way, “What can we do to accomplish the works of God?” Even after they have witnessed his multiplication of the loaves and his mysterious crossing of the Sea of Galilee, they regard him only as a Moses-type prophet. Here is a man, they suppose, who has some answers for us.

Jesus answers their question on a wholly different level. He not only has the answer; he is the answer.  We must believe in him on his own terms. Accepting that teaching opens our heart to the mystery of his Eucharist.
The story is told of the Christian who said to the Catholic, "If I believed that little piece of bread is the Lord Jesus Christ, I should have to crawl to church on my knees!" 

Catholics don't do that, but we appreciate the sentiment. Yes, it is that important, that deserving and that beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.