Friday, December 7, 2018

Memorial of Saint Ambrose, Bishop and Doctor of the Church


"Do you believe that I can do this?"
"Yes, Lord," they said to him.


Unfortunately, in our English, the word believe has many meanings. It can mean, "What I suppose is a true fact, a bit of knowledge which I possess and claim." For instance, I believe the Mass starts at 10:30 am.
It can also mean only an opinion, or even, "I hope so."
Many people use the same word to describe their knowledge of God and the island of Formosa. They might say, "I believe there is such things as God and Formosa, though I've never seen either." But if they heard that neither exists they would not be much upset, though they might ask what happened to Formosa.
Believe is strikingly similar to "beloved" and, religiously, can mean the same thing. I hold this truth close to my heart as dear, as a clear guide to my attitudes, thoughts, words and deeds.
When Jesus asked the blind men if they believed he could do this, he was not asking about their opinions. He wanted to know if they would believe in him, even if he should be arrested, indicted, convicted, tortured and brutally executed.
Perhaps they didn't understand all that. They needed a healing and they hoped that he might perform that miracle for them. But he nevertheless asked them what they believed, as the elect are asked what they believe during the Easter Vigil service, just before they're baptized.
If we the elect are to see clearly who Jesus is and what he represents, we have to believe in him; meaning, I am willing to invest my time, energy, money and devotion in Jesus. I realize that my work, career and investments have to conform to this belief. I am willing to be known as a believer although some of my acquaintances may be uncomfortable with that. My family, too, will have to accept me as a believer.
The elect readily come together to encourage one another, to share prayer, to confess their sins, and enjoy their solidarity. They will volunteer their time, treasure and talent to their community, in support of the tradition which must be passed along to the next generation. Adults without children will not hesitate to make sacrifices for the education and formation of other people's children. We're all in this together.

The blind men wanted to see. But were they willing to see the world, their sins and the sacrifices they must make in the light of God's love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.