Saturday, December 22, 2018

Saturday of the Third Week of Advent

Lectionary: 198

From this day all generations will call me blessed: the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is his Name.

Catholics of "both lungs of the Church" -- Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic -- delight in the presence of Mary, the Mother of God. With the Liturgy of the Hours we read or sing her Magnificat every afternoon, during Vespers. 

Let's say an incredibly wealthy person were to commission you to give someone else a billion dollars! What would you do?
Let's add to the premise: this extraordinary donor has named the party who should receive this largess. 
You would have a decision to make and you might do one or more things:
You might say, "What's in it for me?"
or, "I need this money."
or, "Can I keep some of it?"
Or you might think, "I don't even know this fellow who is supposed to receive this gift!"
or, "Perhaps he's not worthy of it."
or, "I know he doesn't deserve it!" 
or, "I know someone more deserving, namely me!"

The Lord God gave Mary such a gift and she immediately passed it along to you and me. We watch her do that in Bethlehem as the shepherds -- famously smelling of sheep! -- arrive to see the child. She immediately handed her infant son to the old man in the temple, Simeon, who "took the baby in his arms and blessed God." She gives her son to us in Cana when she urges us to, "Do whatever he tells you." And again on Calvary, as she surrenders her son to his tormentors and to her God. 
She has held nothing back for herself. 

Now, let's suppose you receive this marvelous "billion dollars" from the agent who was commissioned to hand it over to you. 
Would you thank her for it? 
Would you offer a small commission for her generosity, realizing that she kept nothing for herself? 
Would you at least acknowledge that this woman has displayed amazing generosity, especially as you both know you don't deserve it? 

God does not use anyone! If we use the words servant or slave of God to describe our standing before God, it's always with the confidence that the Father of Jesus has the deepest respect for our dignity and freedom. The Lord would not use Mary as the mother of his Only Begotten Son without her total, unconditional consent. She freely, readily, eagerly, joyfully, gratefully welcomed the unexpected gift of God. There was no hesitation in her fiat.
We believe she deserved it but she described herself only as the handmaid of God, one he had blessed in her lowliness
For these reasons and more we do not hesitate to praise the agent whom God commissioned to give her Son -- her Only Begotten Son -- to us. 
Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.