Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe

Lectionary: 690A

Sing and rejoice, O daughter Zion! 
See, I am coming to dwell among you, says the LORD. 
Many nations shall join themselves to the LORD on that day, 
and they shall be his people, 
and he will dwell among you, 
and you shall know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you.



I have never been persuaded that there are too many immigrants coming to the United States. I have heard the discussion and it seems to begin with the premise that there is a problem. I don't see it; I don't believe it. I think it's a red herring used to distract us from the real problems that confront us. Immigrants are too Americans what Jews were to the Nazis, a pariah to be persecuted when they refuse to look at the evil within their own hearts. 
My parents had ten children; eight of us married. That makes eighteen adults; I have only fifteen nieces and nephews. That's the trend among North Americans, and not just the so-called white people. We need immigrants and their children to maintain the functioning institutions that make life possible.   
So on this feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe I thank God for Our Lady of North America and devoutly hope that citizens of this multicultural, multilingual nation will welcome our brothers and sisters and their children from Mexico, Central and South America. 
The "problem" is multifaceted. Many people suppose that immigrants coming to the United States might change our culture. Hello? Does anyone recognize the culture we live in now? Since the advent of computers, youtube, facebook and etc, we're all living in a foreign country. If they bring change, immigrants restore family values with their many children. 
The problem is racism and anti-Catholicism. Many of the immigrants from the South are Catholic, or at least have been formed by a Catholic culture. 
The problem is fear. We have been to the mountain, and now we're coming down the other side. The United States has lost its place at the head of nations. President Obama saw that coming; President Trump has made it happen. I've lived in Australia and visited other countries; I know that being the first among nations is no great privilege.
Some people fear that immigrants might move into their neighborhoods. So what is a neighborhood? When is the last time you talked with your neighbor? Invited them in to play cards, discuss politics, pray or watch a movie? Neighborhoods began disappearing with the telephone and the automobile long before any of us were born. Many people don't even attend the church in their neighborhood; they find one that "feeds" them at a more distant place. 
When we celebrate the Blessed Mother we celebrate a woman who lived in exile from her native land for twelve years. We celebrate a pioneer who followed the Holy Spirit in the manner of her ancestors Abraham and Sarah. They too were strangers in a strange land. 
If we have any affection for the Mother of Jesus, we must surely welcome immigrants into our churches, neighborhoods, schools, work and homes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.