Thursday, December 13, 2018

Memorial of Saint Lucy, Virgin and Martyr

Lectionary: 184

I am the LORD, your God,
who grasp your right hand;
It is I who say to you, "Fear not,
I will help you."
Fear not, O worm Jacob,
O maggot Israel;
I will help you, says the LORD;
your redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.



Invited to speak to middle-schoolers about "self-esteem" in the early 90's -- when many educators were convinced that children should have good self-esteem whether they deserve it or not -- I read this passage from Isaiah: "O worm Jacob, O maggot Israel." The kids loved it. 
I hear in this passage a loving God teasing his children into laughing at themselves and their fears. Sometimes humor is the only way we can handle our challenges. They really are too much for us. 
Angels can fly, said G. K. Chesterton, because they take themselves lightly. Christians can fly because they know that God has everything in hand; there is nothing to worry about. 
Do I see how this trouble is going to end? No, of course not. Do I have an insight beyond the scope of the world. Not really. But, whatever comes, God is still in charge. This may feel like a careening automobile with no breaks on a mountain road; but it's really just a roller-coaster. The assurances of our faith are all functioning just fine. 
Whether I am looking at my personal life, or my family, the Franciscan Order, the Catholic Church, the nation or the world, I have to remember that the Lord who has conquered, tamed and made death his personal servant can handle anything. I have a front seat in this drama and can watch with delight as Our Savior drives the enemy back. With the Church I can laugh our Ha-Ha-Halleluias at the Victory he has won. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.