Saturday, December 29, 2018

The Fifth Day in the Octave of Christmas

Lectionary: 202

The child’s father and mother were amazed at what was said about him; and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted (and you yourself a sword will pierce) so that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

Several years ago I went with two classmates to Canterbury. Our first visit was to the Gothic cathedral, which is an active Episcopal church in that ancient English town. And the first question I asked was, "Where is the tomb of Saint Thomas a'Becket?" 
"No one knows!" we were told. King Henry VIII stripped all the English churches of their saints' relics. In some cases, he had them loaded into a cannon and blasted out over the Thames River. We were frankly shocked by the story. 
However, the story goes, two monks foresaw what must happen and hid the relics of the martyred bishop. No one knows to this day where they are. Perhaps, like the grave of King Richard III, they'll be found someday under a parking lot or beneath the foundations of an old building. 
What remains of the saint is now scattered throughout the Catholic world, in the form of today's memorial. 
But this is also a quiet day to remember the saintly Simeon and Anna, who welcomed the Infant Jesus to the Holy City.
Those who scrupulously believe in historical accounts must feel challenged by this occasion, for it was only yesterday we heard that "Jerusalem" was searching for the child to destroy him. Fortunately, our faith is not founded on scrupulous historical accounts nor meticulous scientific proof. These studies, sacred as they are, cannot contain or encapsulate the gospel.
Today's narrative reminds us that God's holy people, wherever they might be, will always welcome the Lord Jesus. Despite their secular or religious authorities, despite the hegemony of scientific scruples, we welcome the Lord who has chosen to be born among us. He is one of our own children, as fascinating, delightful and wonderful as any newborn infant. 
Every grandparent will recognize the joy of this elderly couple and the significance of Simeon's song, 
"Now, Lord, you let your servant go in peace. Your word has been fulfilled. my own eyes have seen the salvation which you prepared in the sight of every people...."
In the birth of a child I see a future unfolding that must surpass my own. I have a moment to let the Holy Spirit convert my sinful life into a gospel; and then I shall fade into eternity, allowing a new generation to receive God's mercy and sing God's praises. I don't suppose anyone will want to blow my ashes out of a cannon. No one will think it necessary to preserve his power or dignity. But I do look forward to That Day when the Lord will stand over my grave and call me by name, "... come out!" He will command. I hope I will be ready to obey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.