Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Tuesday of the First Week of Advent

Lectionary: 176


Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.
Today's gospel story describes Jesus' elation as the disciples returned from an experimental missionary tour. Saint Luke has told us,
The seventy-two returned rejoicing, and said, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name.”
There are moments in our lives when the Kingdom of God seems incredibly close. Like the twenty-foot putt, they seem so natural and easy. They are charmed with simplicity; they keep us coming back to hope and love and the willingness to live by faith. "Why can't every moment be like this?" we wonder. 
There may be an answer to that question, but it's probably not helpful. Rather, we thank God for such moments of grace and tuck them away in our memories. 
Saints tell us, "When times are good, remember the bad times. When times are bad, remember the good times." 
When I suffered a long moment of great personal anguish and deep distress, someone told me, "Someday you'll look back on this and be grateful for it." 
I didn't want that advice and I would not say it to anyone. 
But I will admit I would not change the past if I could. Life is not supposed to be easy; I see no reason why it should be. Nor would I want to make it easier for someone I care about. 
Rather I hope that, like Jesus, I might be there with them during the most terrible moments, and during the most delightful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.