Saturday, May 18, 2019

Saturday of the Fourth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 284


How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 
Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? 
The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. 
The Father who dwells in me is doing his works. 
Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves. 


Many people enjoy going to huge sporting events -- automobile races, football, baseball and basketball games -- to cheer for the home town or their favorite athlete. They enjoy the spectacle, the crowds and the "safety in numbers." If that makes them the target of terrorist activities they go nonetheless to watch parades, to shop on Black Friday, and to worship in crowded churches. 
Some go on pilgrimage to sacred shrines in the various parts of the world; they often come home with wonderful stories of huge numbers of people gathered in the presence of God. The funeral of a holy man like a dalai lama, ayatollah or pope can draw astonishing numbers of worshipers lost in prayer.  Years later they will tell their grandchildren of that epic journey, and the children will tell their grandchildren that, "your great-great grandfather attended the Holy Father's funeral!" 
That willing urge to join a crowd begins with our longing for Christ, the One who is lifted up and gathers all to himself even as surrenders in love to God his Father. 
This urge is just as natural as the flocking of sheep and birds. Our delight in the home town's victory is not unlike the baying of dogs as they chase the hare and the alleluias of Easter morning. The only difference with the last is our assurance of faith. We have accepted the Lord's word, "Have faith in me; have faith in the one who sent me."
Faith comes naturally to the human being; it's in our genetic code. But hard experience tells us not every hero, institution, movement or ideology is worthy of our trust. Human history is scarred with innumerable tragedies of those who gave their lives for an unworthy cause. 
Hearing the word of God we learn what we could not know otherwise. We encounter the One is worthy of our faith. Impelled by the Holy Spirit we come to the table of the Lord and share Communion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.