Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Wednesday of the Second Week of Easter

Lectionary: 269

But whoever lives the truth comes to the light, so that his works may be clearly seen as done in God.


Today's six-verse passage from the Gospel of Saint John begins with that familiar reassurance -- God so loved the world... -- and ends with a promise to those who love the light, their works will be clearly seen as done in God.
Between the reassurance and the promise are dire warnings to those who prefer the dark. This is John's chiaroscuro effect; the light shines in darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it. 
I find this gospel both challenging and refreshing as I live in a world painted in fifty shades of grey. Refreshing in this sense: there is Truth. There is certainty. If I am not always sure of what I should do, if I cannot clearly recognize the truth among the lies nor the lies amid the truths, I do not doubt that Truth exists. 
I have dealt with liars and been confused by what they said. It was very unsettling and until I realized what was happening I wondered what was wrong with me. Had I misunderstood what I was told? Did I not see what was in front of me? 
But eventually I realized the liar had not told the truth because he didn't know the truth. No one can know the truth who does not love and serve the Truth. They know only what they want to know; they say what they want you to believe, or what they think you want to hear. 
It's fascinating to watch dishonest leaders surround themselves with like-minded liars. Fascinating like black widow spiders and poisonous snakes. But also very disturbing. As the psalmist said, "Foundations once destroyed, what can the just do?"
I find this passage of John's gospel challenging because I have to wonder if I love the Gospel. I certainly have not "resisted to the point of shedding blood;" a standard set by the Letter to the Hebrews. Salvation History includes many instances of martyrdom; that "age" seems never to end. 
Saint Francis and several of his early disciples were so eager to prove their faith they went to Muslim nations with the express purpose of being put to death. Francis came home disappointed but several did not. The 1969 novel Silence, by Shusako Endo, suggests some Europeans went to Japan with the same intention, and perhaps they were misguided. 
More often, Christians have practiced asceticism in a hopeful pursuit of truth. By mortification ("white martyrdom"), they prepare themselves for a challenge that might never come in this world, but might in the next. Not for nothing do we pray, "...lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil," and "now and at the hour of our death." 
Our critics will try to assure us that this preparation is no longer necessary. "You have ample good works laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merryThe age of martyrs is passed!" they say -- until they read the news of Sri Lanka last week. 
Saint John invites Christian of every walk of life to know, love and serve the Truth. Saint Augustine taught us, "It always takes courage to speak the truth." We should pray daily in gratitude and confidence that the Lord give us that Spirit that knows what to say and when to say it in all honesty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.