Saturday, May 25, 2019

Saturday of the Fifth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 290

"If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first.
If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own;
but because you do not belong to the world,
and I have chosen you out of the world,
the world hates you.


Christians today live in a polarized society and are found in all the camps of the political spectrum from alt-right to left-whatever. Perhaps we should be grateful for that. They're not coming after us! As some wit has asked, "If you were indicted for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?" 
In many cases the polarization is driven by Christian principles. Pro-lifers can point to the roots of their movement in the Judaeo-Christian tradition with as much conviction as feminists who celebrate the remarkable women of the Bible and our Christian heritage. The gun controversy revolves around principles of personal freedom versus the rights of the community; no Christian could impugn either. 
It's hard to say right now what the world -- as Saint John's Gospel uses the expression -- means. Nor can we declare with much conviction, "The Church says this about that moral issue!" 
Whenever a Veteran in the hospital broaches controversial issues  I head for the hallway. If they're well enough to argue politics they don't need to be in the hospital. 
But we bring some things to the discussion: 

  1. Our respect for complex issues that will not be resolved in the foreseeable future;
  2. Our respect for the suffering souls who are wrought about these matters; 
  3. Our compassion for the victims of an unjust, violent society; and
  4. Our prayerful confidence that God is still in charge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.