Monday, May 13, 2019

Monday of the Fourth Week of Easter


I am the good shepherd, says the Lord;
I know my sheep, and mine know me.


I've had little acquaintance with real sheep. I vaguely recall meeting one in a petting zoo and hesitantly touching the animal's wool, which didn't leave me with a touchy-feely desire to do it again. I think both of us were satisfied with the minimum.
I've heard it said they are particularly helpless animals. The operative word is stupid. After ten thousand years of breeding under human supervision, they are very tame. They stand patiently as their wool is shorn; they do not snap at the sheepdog that chases them into the corral; they walk right into the slaughter house. They cannot find water or green pastures; they are easy prey to predators and require continual surveillance, guidance, and protection. They do not survive in the wild.
They're similarity to their human protectors is not immediately apparent, largely because we think we're smarter, more resourceful and more aware of danger. But we too have been carefully bred for many centuries and, without special skills and great discipline, cannot survive in the wild.
And we are ready prey to predators, especially to the wolves in sheep's clothing among us. Very often, the most vulnerable are those who think they're the cleverest, for they readily deceive themselves. No sheep ever thought he was half-as-clever as the fool regards himself.
This is why a candidate for political office in the United States garners huge amounts of cash. They hire propagandists to create commercials for potential voters who believe whatever claptrap they're told. The more brazen the half-truth the more acceptable it is to the electorate. Voters who take their responsibility seriously soon realize their representatives despise them.
This is why food and household goods must be carefully packaged and skillfully placed in the stores, so that unwary shoppers will pick up the pretty packages and take them home.
This is why precise information on every consumer is amassed by advertisers to sell things that nobody needs, wants, or uses.
This is why the simile of sheep, despite our many accomplishments, still fits the human situation.
This is why we need a Shepherd who will guide us with his Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.