Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Wednesday of the Fourth Week of Easter


While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said,
"Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
Then, completing their fasting and prayer, they laid hands on them and sent them off.
So they, sent forth by the Holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia
and from there sailed to Cyprus.


The Acts of the Apostles describes the first adventures of the Church as it set out to announce the Gospel to every creature, and to the ends of the earth. That goal is symbolically attained by Paul's arrival in Rome, although as a prisoner in chains. Saint Luke narrated the transition period from Jesus to the Church in every land where they live, whether that be Judea, Cyprus, Greece or Italy.
Readers should understand that the Gospel reaches them not by accident, nor by some mythological magic like, "If you build it they will come." It was not an accident or happy chance. It was very deliberate, costing blood, sweat and tears, and was directed by the Holy Spirit.
If Jesus had died and been raised up and ascended into heaven, he was also immediately present with the Church in the Holy Spirit. Neither Barnabas nor Paul (his Hebrew name was Saul) had known Jesus during his brief "Earthly career" but no one feels any regret about that. No one says, "If only I had lived at the time of Christ...." Such talk is utter nonsense because Jesus' Spirit speaks to anyone who would be directed by the Lord. You have only to ask.
We should never lose that sense of God's immediate presence. I heard someone ask whether she should recite the rosary or the Franciscan Crown and a fellow replied, "I'm sure God doesn't care how you pray, just so you pray."
I went through the roof!
We should suppose God does care! We should assume God has an intention for us every day and every hour of the day. The Acts of the Apostles shows the Spirit directing certain actions and prohibiting others. As important, it shows the disciples asking continually, "Where should we go? What should we say?" And, "Lord you got us into this. Now get us out."
The disciples' joy is rooted in this confident prayer.
A secular society assumes that God doesn't care. In fact, they say, there might not be a god. I find it ironic that we play with dice and cards. In effect we cast lots just like the soldiers who cast lots for Jesus' clothing. But casting lots was a sacred activity; for the Jews it was never a game. It was a way of asking what would God have us do. The soldiers's game was sacrilegious.
But we play cards and throw dice with the assurance that God would never interfere in our games! He just doesn't care who wins!
I play cards and enjoy it. And I suppose if God wants anything of me, it's that I should observe all the rules of good sportsmanship. Win or lose, it's just a game.
But... sometimes I suspect the Lord had a hand in the game. Just to show me he still cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.