Thursday, May 30, 2019

Thursday of the Sixth Week of Easter

Lectionary: 294


Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy."


I heard a radio discussion recently concerning the status of Christians in the United States. The participants were mostly "Evangelical" and the discussion centered around their political and social beliefs. They were responding to remarks of Vice President Mike Pence to a graduating class at a Christian college. He had encouraged the young people to expect opposition and to act courageously in the practice of their faith.
Is that the attitude Christians should take, the panel wondered.
Not invited to contribute to the conversation, I get to air my opinions here.
I intend with this blog to remind Christian Catholics that we are a people peculiar to the Lord. Our faith with its traditions and practices sets us apart from other Americans. Jesus describes that difference in many ways; today he reminds us, "You will weep and mourn while the world rejoices...."
Sometimes the dominant culture thinks they are celebrating with us. As at Easter, when they pull out the Easter bunnies and colored eggs; we go to church and sing hymns of resurrection. In December, anticipating Christmas, they shop till they drop; we wait in silence, wait in hope.
Many Christians have suppose the United States is, or should be, a Christian nation. Or maybe, it used to be but isn't anymore. At one time, Catholicism heartily agreed with that belief; and went farther, believing every nation should be a Catholic country. (Much to the consternation of our Protestant brothers and sisters.)
With the Second Vatican Council, that policy changed. We recognize that we are and should be a minority. Priests do not make good politicians, preachers are worse. But Christians should be a vocal minority, announcing our beliefs and urging public policy to honor human dignity in all its forms.  Whether this is a Christian, Muslim or Buddhist country, matters not. Wherever we go, we make ourselves at home, our presence felt, and our charity welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.