Thursday, January 2, 2020

Memorial of Saints Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen, Bishops and Doctors of the Church

Lectionary: 205

Who is the liar? Whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Whoever denies the Father and the Son, this is the antichrist. Anyone who denies the Son does not have the Father, but whoever confesses the Son has the Father as well.


I remember a riddle from my high school years. Two men come from two tribes. One tribe always tells the truth; the other always lies. If you ask the men which tribes they belong to, both will say they come from the truth-telling tribe. How can you tell which is which? 
I don't remember the answer. 
Maybe there wasn't any. 
I wish I knew it now as we read about the "tribes" in today's American politics. 
I find a clue in today's first reading. The liar "denies that Jesus is the Christ."
Of course lots of people say they are "Christian," a word which the early Church apparently shunned. (It appears only thrice in the New Testament and is never a compliment.) The word is used so often today, by so many denominations, it means nothing at all. 
But I am meeting people -- Catholic, Christian, and others -- who say there is no truth. They insist there are only points of view and hidden agendas. They also insist there are no honest people. Everyone stretches the truth; everyone exaggerates to satisfy their own opinions. Optimists are optimistic; pessimists are pessimistic; neither has a real insight. 

I believe in Jesus; and that he is the Christ. I believe he guides us in all truth. Truth is not a matter of opinion; it is a way of life. The early Church called their Gospel "the Way." You remember that Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." And the unconverted Paul set out to persecute anyone belonging to the Way

Being well instructed in Church doctrine is very important. Being familiar with liturgical rules and customs, the lives of the saints, and writings of the popes are certainly salutary. But these assets do not guarantee one's belonging to the Way. 
We must be guided by the Spirit, as was Jesus and his disciples. The Spirit knows the Time, when to be silent and when to speak. When to give, and when to withhold. When to preach the word of comfort, challenge or, instruction; and when to listen to another's confusion. The Spirit tells us where to go and where not to go
We believe the Lord has an intention for us at every moment of the day. If his eye is on the sparrow, he certainly watches over me; and directs my steps. With our daily prayers, our disciplines of work, study, and a balanced life; with our attention to the needs of others and concern for their welfare; with a readiness to do what we don't want to do if the Spirit dictates: with these and similar attitudes we begin a new year in the Lord. 
2020 will be a fateful year in America with the decisions that must come on November 3rd. We must pray for God's guidance. Let us walk in the Way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.