Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of God


All who heard it were amazed
by what had been told them by the shepherds.
And Mary kept all these things,
reflecting on them in her heart.


It is good to begin a new year with a day off from work. We need some time to reflect on these things in our hearts, as Mary did. I find it fascinating that the shepherds told Mary and Joseph about the angels, what they had "seen and heard." The parents were otherwise engaged in important matters and could not be distracted at the time. 
This eighth day of the Christmas octave invites us to stop and think about where we've been. We have seen darkness and light, fear and joy, peace and violence. There is the light shining in darkness; the joy of the frightened shepherds; Saint Stephen's peaceful smile as he was murdered by a mob; and the baptism by blood of the Holy Innocents. There is the assurance that we're not finished yet; there is more to come.
I have always found it hard to plan for January in December. I just didn't want to look that far ahead. Any other month follows after the last one, but January? Let's put that off a while. Let's put it off at least until we have pondered these things in our hearts; and, like a feast of rich food and choice wines, juicy, rich food and pure, choice wines, absorbed them into our being. 
Mary leads us in this pleasant work for she has received the Lord God into her being even as she bore our savior. He comes forth from her yet remains within her. They are inseparable. I heard a woman on NPR declare, "I cannot imagine my life without my children." Even a "liberal" radio station understands that much about motherhood. 
Our lives are changed also by what we have seen and heard since Thanksgiving, 2018. The four Sundays of Advent and two octaves and Christmas Day have altered our lives. These annually repeated cycles set us apart from our fellow citizens. We're not like other Americans, or Irish, or English. We have heard angels singing; we have seen fellow witnesses murdered in the street; we not been afraid to take Mary into our homes; we have named her child Jesus, because he saves his people from their sins.
We need time today to ponder these things in our hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.