Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Tuesday of the First Week of Ordinary Time


All were amazed and asked one another, “What is this? A new teaching with authority. He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him.” His fame spread everywhere throughout the whole region of Galilee.


Jesus is the Word of God Incarnate. He is the Truth who comes to free us from the illusions, falsehoods, deceptions, and lies we create to shield ourselves from pain.
Today's gospel is from the first chapter of Saint Mark. In this early stage of his career, Jesus is greeted not with Christmas joy but with simple astonishment. They don't know what to make of him. No one has ever, in their memory, spoken so clearly, persuasively, and with such conviction. Although he is from their own region, and speaks with their own familiar accent, they can't understand where he comes from.
They are, however, blessed with a Spirit that permits them to hear his teaching, witness his healing authority, and be astonished. They are better off than the jaded who see something new and dismiss it as too bizarre to be credible or too familiar to be useful. Their amazement should settle into curiosity and a willingness to say to Jesus, "Tell us more!"
From time immemorial the wise counsel us to be ignorant. We should acknowledge our lack of insight, and the pathetic inadequacy of our present knowledge. We just don't know enough! It is better to be unknowing of something than to "know" something which is not true.
When a stranger arrives in my workplace, church, school, or neighborhood, do I look at the person's skin, religion, or accent and suppose I know them? I can tell who they are and where they come, how they think, act, play, and work by their "type?"
Or am I ready to greet and inquire, "Who are you? Where do you come from? Tell me a story!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.