Saturday, January 11, 2020

Saturday after Epiphany

Lectionary: 217

We know that anyone begotten by God does not sin; but the one begotten by God he protects, and the Evil One cannot touch him.
We know that we belong to God, and the whole world is under the power of the Evil One.
We also know that the Son of God has come
and has given us discernment to know the one who is true.
And we are in the one who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ.


The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception rests upon this and similar passages of the Bible, "...anyone begotten by God does not sin." We admire Mary for the gift she was given and her willingness to receive it.  The Evil One could not touch her. 
Perhaps we have all -- and I can speak for myself -- enjoyed moments when we set aside certain unseemly habits and were relieved and delighted by that momentary freedom of spirit. Most of the alcoholics I have met, and the smokers I have known, admit that they have quit on occasion. But, for whatever reason -- usually "stress" -- they took it up again. 
"I plead guilty, as charged."
Mary, raised by her sainted parents, Joachim and Anna, was not encouraged to take up these sinful habits. She recognized them as undesirable when she saw them, and gracefully sidestepped the opportunities. By the grace of her privilege -- Immaculate Conception -- she was not attracted to evil. She would no more do that sort of thing or take up that sort of habit than you or I might jump off the top of the Empire State Building. 
After nearly forty years of abstinence from drinking alcohol, I feel no desire to drink. I still might, of course, if I choose to. I don't expect that I will and, more importantly, I pray that I won't. And I thank God every day for the gift of sobriety. It has served me well; far better than alcohol ever did. 
The entire Church shares with Mary her grace of "Immaculation." The Lord restores our innocence. It may not be the innocence of Adam and Eve before the Fall, but it is more than the innocence we suppose of newborn children. They will sin; we have sinned and turned away from that practice. 
Parents and their communities baptize infants with the promise that we will bring them up in grace-filled homes. We do not intend to offer them a palette of sinful paints to tarnish their lives. 
As a small boy I once used an expression I often heard from my mother. She immediately told me never to say that again! And I never heard it again. A wise woman learns from her foolish son! 
As this Christmas Season comes to an end, we thank God that we are growing in grace day by day. The promise of Eternal Life is the assurance that we will continue to grow from grace to grace, endlessly, by the Infinite Mercy of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.