Sunday, January 19, 2020

Second Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 64


John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.


It is no accident that the presider of every Mass charges the congregation to "Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world." The Church takes the words from Saint John the Baptist and we offers the Eucharist with the same drama as when John greeted the Coming of the Lord. This Eucharist is the Lamb of God and we welcome it with the same joy and eager anticipation as the Baptist. 
The title has a long history. Abel offered an acceptable sacrifice of a lamb to God when Cain offered his sacrifice of grain, which was not accepted. Ever since Moses led the Hebrew slaves through the Red Sea to freedom, their descendents offer a Pascal Lamb during the Passover. The lamb would be newborn as the ewes bore their young in the springtime. The Jews delight in the tender meat of Seder as Christians delight in the Eucharist. Before he died, the Lord gathered his disciples to the table and celebrated the Passover with them. He must have known what they did not suspect, this would be his Last Supper, and our First Mass. 
When Saint John recognized Jesus as the Lamb of God he announced the acceptable sacrifice which Jesus the High Priest would offer to God; that is, himself -- in expiation and atonement for our sins. 

While we are beholding Jesus we should also notice John's statement, 
"I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me...."
We know Jesus because the Holy Spirit points him out to us. As Saint Paul tells the Corinthians (1:12) "...no one can say, 'Jesus is Lord,' except by the holy Spirit."
We know the Lord by the Spirit he and the Father give us. That Spirit animates our generosity and courage while it calls us to repentance for our sins. Growing in the Spirit I must become more sensitive to those around me, more aware of their patience with me, and more aware of their dignity, virtue, and integrity. The Spirit of Penance not only shows me my sins, it also shows me how my companions and my Lord forgive my sins. Without that atmosphere of mercy no one could breathe. Indeed, the Holy Spirit is often recognized as the breath, or atmosphere of God; essential to our life as Christians. 
Setting out into the new year, with the Christmas season behind us, we ask God to help us behold the Lamb, and follow in his footsteps.  
We should keep our eyes fixed on Jesus. the leader and perfecter of our faith


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.