Monday, September 21, 2020

Feast of Saint Matthew, Apostle and Evangelist

Lectionary: 643

Jesus heard this and said, “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words,I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”


Pope Francis has taken the most unusual stance of challenging the Church to care for the victims of a sick planet. Ordinarily, the pope's job is to rein in excessive impulses as he tries to unify many nations and peoples into a single communion. Too much creative energy can become impatient and impetuous as it explores new forms of ministry. Inevitably its ardor alienates the very elements of the Church it would invite to reform and renewal. 

But the world is in crisis now as climate change renders once fertile homelands barren, and rising sea waters flood coastal communities. This year's fires in the western states, the worst in history, will certainly trigger adjustments in the way insurance companies do business and state and local governments plan. The dustbowl states have never recovered from the droughts in the 1930's; can California recover its dream of the good life? 

Because forty percent of Americans live within a coastal county by an ocean, gulf or Great Lake, the melting artic poles are hitting us too. Billions of people will have to adjust to different ways of life in different places, and today's crowded cities will soon be over-crowded. 

At a time like this we hear Jesus's command, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice." Being religously pious is a fine thing, but one's prayer must compel acts of mercy. 

Some may argue that their hard work has earned them a comfortable place away from the crying needs of the poor. They've done their part and are finished! Others will point out that their comfortable place was, in fact, built on the backs of the poor. There are no "self-made" men or women.

But the argument is moot. The only question is, "What will you do now?" No one is justified by their pious works of prayer or sacrifice; we are justified by fidelity to God's commands, "When I was hungry, you gave me food. When I was homeless you sheltered me. When I was sick, you cared for me."  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.