Sunday, September 6, 2020

Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 127

Again, amen, I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything for which they are to pray, it shall be granted to them by my heavenly Father. 
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”


On this Sunday at the beginning of September, as we leave the vacation season behind us and set out for the deep of work and school -- at least, we would in an ordinary year -- the Lectionary offers us teachings about getting along with each other, especially with our fellow Christians. 
Our gospel today lays a foundation for the Canon Law that will be, in later centuries, formulated to guide parishes and dioceses throughout the world. There is a balanced concern for the individual and the community. Anyone who is seriously offended by another's behavior should courageously go to that person and discuss it face to face. 
I was the director of a certain organization for several years when one of my staff came to me with a grievance against another staff person, one of our friars. She was intimidated and upset by his aggressive, loud manner. I knew the man well and admired both parties greatly. 
I told her, "Go talk to him. He's a teddy bear! I guarantee it!" It took a while but she mustered the courage and went to him. He immediately apologized because he was all too familiar with her anger. The dear man knew he came across too loudly very often. They became the best of friends! I was delighted. Not many years later, she spoke with great affection at his funeral. 
Mark Twain wrote a short story of a husband and wife who, shortly after their wedding, had a minor disagreement. Because neither would confront the other, nor apologize, they lived together wretchedly for the rest of their lives. It doesn't have to be that way. 
The Holy Spirit provides us the humility, courage, wisdom, and willingness to work out our differences. Sometimes we have only to apologize; or to atone in some simple, indirect manner. The sign of peace during the Mass offers the opportunity and the reminder that This is necessary. A community that does not continually wage peace among its members is doomed from the outset. 
I knew a community of cloistered women who met to discuss their business, financial, and social affairs each month. They might spend an hour on the decisions, and several hours more on how the decisions were made. "Did you feel like your input was heard and respected? Are there hard feelings among us that need attention and resolution? Are you ready and willing to engage our communal life, or do you feel like you're being dragged along by the routines?" 
The decisions are important but the way they're made is far more important. If the loudest voices usually get their way, the covenant will suffer. It's often better to make a "wrong" decision in the right way, than for a "right" decision to be imposed upon unwilling parties.  Later I-told-you-sos will not resolve the hard feelings. 

Our mission to the world -- to "make disciples of all nations" -- begins in our fellowship. A divided church scandalizes the nations; it can only sow seeds of division. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.