Sunday, September 13, 2020

Twenty-fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 130 

So will my heavenly Father do to you,
unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart.”


Jesus tells a shocking story in today's gospel. We can well understand the dismay of the fellow servants who witnessed the debtor's abuse of his fellow servant. Although he was forgiven much, he would not forget a pittance that was owed to him. 
I have sometimes wondered what motivated this man. Why did he act that way? Did he suffer abuse as a child? Were people unfair to him? 
Jesus doesn't explain it; and there's no need for an explanation. Rather, he is punished mercilessly because he showed no mercy. 
But, hearing this story, many of us might not be shocked. We've been hammered with so many appalling stories of mass shootings, police brutality, nursing home neglect, and the plagues of suicide, drug abuse, and alcoholism coupled with the predictable-but-unexpected catastrophes of bush fires, hurricanes, and Covid-19, we're beyond shocked. We can hardly absorb any more. 
Recent calls for justice have informed many of us about our tradition of terrorism against African-Americans, Native Americans, immigrants, and others. That story was not taught in our schools, except to assure us those days are over
Not.
What's fascinating is the genuine fear many white people have of a race war. It's more fascinating because I, for one, simply dismissed it as nonsense. In fact the racial war against Blacks has never stopped. I didn't see it until now. 
Of course many white people are afraid of blacks! They should be more afraid of God, as the scriptures threaten us, "So will my heavenly Father do to you."

As the pastor of a Black Catholic Church in Louisiana I saw the reconciling, healing grace of God as my parishioners and many of my neighbors celebrated their love of and pride in the United States. Despite the discrimination they encountered in fellow Catholics, they loved the Church and received her sacraments with grateful devotion. 
When I asked, one lady explained, "We knew the Pope isn't like that." After the Civil War Rome directed American bishops to send missionaries to the freedmen and freedwomen. My parishioners knew why the response was sluggish and yet they wanted the Most Blessed Sacrament and they loved the Virgin Mary. 
White people in the United States have been forgiven much. 
We should hear today's gospel in the light of American history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.