Saturday, September 26, 2020

Saturday of the Twenty-Fifth Week in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 454

  

Rejoice, O young man, while you are young and let your heart be glad in the days of your youth.
Follow the ways of your heart,
the vision of your eyes; Yet understand that as regards all this God will bring you to judgment.

 

A few weeks short of 72, I am still a young man among priests, and still rejoice in my health, such as it is. I follow the ways of my heart, if not the vision of my eyes, as I search for love in the chapel, the friary, and the hospital ministry. And I understand that I stand under God’s judgment, especially because I already suffer the verdict of my body for past foolishness.

As I tell some Veterans, the only reason we’re ever young is so that we’ll have something to regret when we get old. There are many regrets. Qoheleth’s last words – “Vanity of vanities, all things are vanity!” – might not be my last words but I get it.

I have never been persuaded that the pursuit of happiness is a good idea. I don’t think Qoheleth would buy it. Wisdom, goodness, truth, beauty: these are worth pursuing. Happiness is a distraction. It’s nice while it lasts but it’s not a plan for a people or a nation.

As we work our way through this pandemic and face the far worse and on-rushing catastrophe of climate change, as entire nations are being displaced, we prepare our children and grandchildren for the unsettled world they will inherit.

They must know that, GOD IS STILL IN CHARGE. If the Lord persistently remains with us despite our killing him by crucifixion, if he remains with us despite our ham-fisted efforts to create a world without him, we can be sure he will appear to our children in the twenty-second and twenty-third centuries. The Spirit of God, like the Spirit of John Brown, marches on.

In today’s gospel Jesus told his disciples of the coming disaster. As a prophet he could speak with assurance of the future. But without the spirit of prophecy, humans cannot imagine a future unlike the familiar present. We might expect some improvements and fear some developments but, for the most part, we look for more of the same. Even when we see unprecedented forest fires, punishing hurricanes, and millions of people fleeing their homes, we suppose it won't happen here.


The prophets’ message is invariably, “Repent!” meaning “Turn away from your sins.” This is something we can do. In the face of catastrophe, we are neither helpless nor clueless.

Some people insist these developments are not God’s punishment. God, they suppose, will not punish good people like us! That may be; I cannot say. But that attitude leaves us with no response to what is obviously the end of an age in history. Although we don’t know the way we can see the gate to the future -- the narrow gate -- which is penance.

Call it atonement, sorrow for sin, reparation, or remorse, the scriptures describe it closely in the words of the prophets. I think of Lamentations, attributed to the Prophet Jeremiah after the fall of Jerusalem. Prostrate, the people could only acknowledge their sins and wait on God’s mercy. The Lord who had called them out of Egypt and made them a nation among nations, would surely not abandon them. We still hope in God, because God is our hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.