Thursday, September 10, 2020

Thursday of the Twenty-third Week in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 440

"To you who hear I say, love your enemies,
do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you,
pray for those who mistreat you…."

 


Yesterday we heard Jesus’s broadcast of blessings upon the poor and curses upon the prosperous. He makes these pronouncements like statements of fact, observations about God’s ways, and prophecies of weal and woe.

In today’s gospel he speaks in a different mode directly to “you who hear.” He describes precisely his own manner of life and invite us to live that way; beginning with, “love your enemies…”

If he began with cosmic statements about life in general, he has now turned his attention directly to us, to those who are willing to hear.

Without our willingness his words fall on deaf ears; he might as well not say them at all. But the command to “love your enemies” encounters instant resistance.  Our willingness is immediately tested. We say, “Speak to me, O Lord!” until he says, “Love your enemies” and we say, ”Whoa!” It’s as if a valve remains open so long as the liquid flow is slow, steady and predictable; but when it comes too fast, all in a rush, the valve snaps shut.

We have reasons for disagreement, along with experience and stories. What-ifs immediately come to mind. And what-abouts? And finally, “Do I have to?” and “Is this necessary?”

We had this wonderful, good self-image which we presented to the Lord. “Look at me, Lord. See how ready I am to hear your word! I am one of yours! You’re my kind of God!”

And then the Word of God rushed upon us.


Learning to listen, we learn to hear without interfering, without getting in the way. Jesus has commanded me to, “Love my enemies.” Isn’t that a beautiful command? He goes on to say, “pray for those who persecute you” and “turn the other cheek.”

As we listen to the Lord, his words summon memories of his life. When they stripped his cloak from him, he did not withhold his tunic. He turned the other cheek to those who beat him. He prayed for his tormentors as he died on the cross. 


Before the Lord teaches us, he shows us what we could not imagine. His death and resurrection reveal the capabilities of a human being. A woman or man can be God.

If I am not God and someone else is – namely Jesus -- it’s not because I am incapable of it; but because the Father has given that gift to another man, one begotten as the image of the invisible God. He has also given to another woman the grace of Immaculate Conception. We are vessels into which God pours grace. Not all are the same size, nor do all receive the same amount.


So there is no judgement upon me, and no need for a swift reaction, when I hear, “Love your enemies!” He is teaching me of what I am capable so long as I remain open and willing to hear.


Saint Francis is remembered for his prayer, “Love is not loved! Love is not loved!” He saw the infinite love of God and received the invitation with joy and grief. He heard the voice of Jesus with such joy he could not turn away from it. But he also suffered intense disappointment as he continually ran up against his own resistance. He was caught between delight and desire, unable to advance, unable to withdraw. Such is the ecstasy of love.

When Jesus invites us to love our enemies, he invites us into that ecstasy. We know we’re capable of it but we’re continually disappointed by our own fearful reluctance. Somewhere between that desire and disappointment we remain open to God’s mercy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.