Monday, April 4, 2022

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent

  Lectionary: 251

“If I yield, it will be my death;
if I refuse, I cannot escape your power.
Yet it is better for me to fall into your power without guilt than to sin before the Lord.”


The ancients often admired the "manly courage" of Susannah as they reflected on this passage from the Book of Daniel. And she has found many imitators among the martyrs of our tradition, both women and men

In our time, as the secular world around us explores alternative relationships between men and women. Explicitly sexual activity is recommended as athletic, relaxing, entertaining, or therapeutic. In every case, it should be harmless and guilt-free, but nonetheless spontaneous and joyful. Ideally, its significance is determined and assessed by the participants, by mutual consent, preferably in advance. 

That last stipulation might be difficult because different parties often bring very different intentions to the transaction, following little or no conversation. Without a religion to provide mutually understood meaning, the encounter can be profoundly disappointing. In some cases, if the news media -- whose primary purpose is always to amuse, entertain, and titillate -- can be relied on, many of these transactions become violent and end up in criminal court. 

The faith tradition which is founded on the words of Jesus tells us sexual transaction should result in lifelong bonding. "What God has joined together cannot be put asunder." as the Evangelists Mark, Matthew, and Luke attest. This fairly obvious teaching echoed the Jewish understanding of marriage which began with Genesis 2, the bond of Adam and Eve. Jesus simply reiterated what everyone should know. 

Is it difficult to live this way? Yes, of course. I've never met a married couple who said it was easy. Was human life ever supposed to be easy? "With God all things are possible." 

Jesus added to God's word as he received it by inviting us to "take my yoke upon your shoulder and learn from me, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." 

Christian Marriage, like Baptism and Priesthood, is a burden and a yoke, but it's far easier, and far more delightful than the sorrow of multiple marriages and the loneliness of multiple divorces. Divorce today hangs over our land like a nuclear cloud; under its shadow not many can feel the joy and freedom of God's kingdom. 

In today's story from the Book of Daniel, Susannah elects to trust in the Lord who has vindicated her faithful ancestors for over a thousand years. In today's Gospel, the Lord prefers the defenseless accused over her righteous accusers. Both women and the Lord wait on God, like faithful spouses of all time, to vindicate them in the face of merciless opposition. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.