Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Wednesday of Holy Week

Lectionary: 259

The Son of Man indeed goes, as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed. It would be better for that man if he had never been born.” 
Then Judas, his betrayer, said in reply, “Surely it is not I, Rabbi?” He answered, “You have said so.”


Two dinosaurs stand on the beach, looking forlorn as they see an Ark on the distant horizon. One of them says, "Was that today?"  

I retired from the VA hospital a few weeks ago. I think of one delightful fellow who was always happy to see the chaplain. He had grown up in the Church and learned the Baltimore Catechism as it was taught in the 1940's. He took a great interest in religious matters, and watched any television program that concerned Catholic history, rites, or beliefs. Though he never attended church, he had many questions and described himself as a seeker after truth. 

But he would not accept any answers that I provided. We argued continually throughout my visit, sometimes repeatedly for days. Eventually, if he stayed more than a few days, I would find other patients to visit. 

I wonder if he'll miss me the next time he returns to the hospital. (The American way of dying is a half-dozen emergent hospital visits until the final crisis cannot be resolved.) I feel badly that, if I were the one who was supposed to provide his final sacraments, he refused them when I offered. And now, it may be too late. 

Judas Iscariot also missed the boat. He had followed the Lord through many days from Galilee to Jerusalem. We can only speculate about why he refused the salvation that was offered. And then it was too late. 

We are creatures of time and space; and, placed in those four dimensions, , and we make lasting decisions. Many are irreversible. There is no fifth dimension. 

I remember another patient who refused my visits repeatedly as he went through his cyclic hospital visits. I happened to be the chaplain on call when the final moment came. He wanted the "last rites," which, in his mind meant the Sacrament of the Sick. (Since the Second Vatican Council in 1965, Viaticum may be called "the last rite.")

I anointed him; he died two hours later. Irritated, I spoke a brief word of comfort to his family, "I'm glad you are here." I wanted to say -- but did not -- "Don't expect to pull this stunt when your time comes. Priests are getting too old for this nonsense." 

As human beings immersed in time, we're subject to the vagaries of one another's moods. How many souls have been lost because "the Church" did not provide the right word, prayer, or sacrament when they were finally ready to receive it? 

Thank God, I am not the judge. I only administer the mysteries to those who would receive them. I do not decide who is worthy to receive them since I am not worthy to administer them. Nor do I know the mind of God. 

Liturgists suggest that we not provide the Sacrament of Penance after Wednesday of Holy Week. During the Triduum we should be wholly engaged in watching as the Lord feeds us at the altar, dies for our salvation, and is raised up. Judas has left the Church; it's too late for him and those with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.