Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Tuesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

 Lectionary: 252

“When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me. The one who sent me is with me.

He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him.”


The great twentieth century theologian, Father Karl Rahner, prepared intensely for the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, long before it was called by Pope Saint John XXIII. He once sadly observed that if the Catholic Church were to renounce the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, not many Catholic spiritual works would have to be rewritten. Somehow, in the controversies aroused by the Reformation and the Enlightenment, that most beautiful and foundational belief was overlooked and forgotten. 

In its place atheism became a way of life for millions even as they said they believed in "God." The doctrine of one god, without the deep dimensions of the Trinity, had neither depth, fascination, nor charm; and little meaning or moral force. Milton's Satan was far more attractive than the imperious bore whom Christians worshiped. Millions silently agreed that they'd rather reign in hell than serve in heaven. 
 
Classical Protestantism didn't dump the doctrine but, without the Eucharist and the mystery of transubstantiation, the Trinity seemed unnecessarily complex. Meanwhile, the Roman church clung to a liturgy in Latin and most people did not sense the threefold presence of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 

Nor did an increasingly violent society support the vision of three divine persons in humble fellowship. Rulers, tyrants, and tycoons want submission and they endorse those churches which teach obsequious obedience. Church leaders should support the ruling class; their God is the King of kings and Lord of lords. He has no time for the hoi polloiProphets who think the Church should prefer the least among us -- the widow, orphan, and alien -- need not apply. 

Fortunately, the Holy Spirit remains with us. We're not only remembering to contemplate the mystery of three divine persons; we're atoning for the sin of neglecting that doctrine as we address clericalism and pedophilia. 

The doctrine teaches us that, at the heart of being, is neither numbers, as Stephen Hawking posited, nor principle or power, but relationship. Which is to say, love. The Father sends his obedient Son who eagerly comes to us and remains entirely with us, even as a historical person who lived and died within human memory. Although equal in every way to the Father, the Son is obedient to the God who has surrendered everything to him. Theirs is an intense love, a Spirit, which pervades and saturates the universe, gathering you and me into their purview and teaching us the same joyous, generous freedom. 

Being free in God's own image but with limited insight, we are seduced by the prospect of a freedom without relationship. Sinful, we would separate ourselves from others with laws and statutes and ordinances. They promise individual autonomy -- "So long as I don't break the law I can do as I please!" -- but limit our freedom and force us to depend on one another. 

Grace invites us to give freely to one another, giving especially presence, access, and welcome to one another. Not only do "I exist, I matter, and I make sense!" I also say to others, "You exist, you matter to me; and I want to understand you." 

That Grace comes from our triune God who honor one another continually with an intensity of one mind and one will. 

We're again watching war in Europe as we see the worship of power and the idolization of security. Russia would dominate its neighbors to insure its freedom from reliance on other nations, even at the cost of slaughtering the defenseless and razing their cities. They seek a freedom built on power, especially military arms, even at the cost of crushing poverty. 

Meanwhile the world hopes and prays that Russia will relent and turn back to its Christian roots, shorn of that czarism which tainted the Russian Orthodox church. Their czar has become the face of evil for many; and their patriotism, the diabolical image of nationalism. Neither can stand very long, especially as we pray for peace and the freedom to care for the homeless, wounded, and dying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.