Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

 Lectionary: 253

Be ready now to fall down and worship the statue I had made, whenever you hear the sound of the trumpet, flute, lyre, harp, psaltery, bagpipe, and all the other musical instruments; otherwise, you shall be instantly cast into the white-hot furnace; and who is the God who can deliver you out of my hands?”


Following a football game one late October evening, I happened to follow the marching band out of the stadium to the parking lot. They kept up the drumming until they boarded the bus. As I walked behind them I thought I'd follow for forty miles, walking late at night, if only they kept up the drumming. There's something about the power of music. 

In today's first reading Nebuchadnezzar's three Hebrew advisors should surrender their Jewish religion when they hear "the sound of the trumpet, flute, lyre, harp, psaltery, bagpipe, and all the other musical instruments."

In fact. the Hebrew lads found it not that hard to resist, but millions of people eagerly march off to war when they hear "the pipes, the pipes are calling from glen to glen, and down the mountain side."  

The stakes are never entirely clear, even in the Gospel of John. Jesus insists, 
“If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I tried to start a Secular Franciscan fraternity once and the first question at the first meeting was, "What do I have to do when I join?" I didn't know the answer; I could not spell out the precise requirements of time, money, and energy. I didn't know what the Lord might ask of the adults in that time and place and circumstance. 

As religious we often have a hard time answering such questions. Our faith and spirit come to us in religious language, with songs, stories, gestures, and rites. Devout individuals may draw us by their joyous energy. Their spirit is fascinating and people want to follow. The only reasonable answer is, "Come and see!" Many will come and they will agree with those who heard the Samaritan woman, 

“We no longer believe because of your word; for we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this is truly the savior of the world.”

It hurts my heart when I hear people say they are spiritual but not religious. We become spiritual only with the religion that leads us to freedom, and his name is Jesus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.