Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Wednesday of the Second Week of Easter

 Lectionary: 269

God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him.


One of the VA chaplains, by way of conversation, asked which verse I considered the heart of the gospel. I cited John 3:16, the first words of today's second reading. He offered the parable of the Good Samaritan. And then agreed that the mystery of the gospel cannot be encapsulated with any formula. Jesus recommended the commandments of love of God and neighbor, but his last words were "Make disciples of all nations." 

John 3:16 recommends itself with the allusion to Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac. (Genesis 22) Although the killing was not completed, and the sacrifice of Jesus was, Abraham matched God's raise by his offer. He did not hesitate to give more than his own life; he would give his only beloved son. God also gave more than his own divine life with the passion and death of Jesus. 

Jesus, the Son of God, coequal with the Father, as the priest, lamb, and altar of sacrifice, added, "No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." 

As a love commandment, that verse appears in the Lord's description of our mission, 

This is my commandment: love one another as I love you.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
You are my friends if you do what I command you. (John 15:12-14)

The Spirit speaks with one voice in these three verses. They speak of God's love for us and of the response we can give as the Spirit enables us. 

Anyone might plead their human weakness to excuse their failure to live by the commandment to love as I have loved you. But the excuse is lame for God's spirit more than makes up for our human weakness. If someone demanded a billion dollar gift of me I could plead my poverty, until the same creditor gave me a billion dollars with the assurance of more to come. In the Spirit we can do all things, as Saint Paul said, "I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me."

When asked, this is how I understand the essence of the gospel. I am sure there are many similar verses in the bible which might be cited with equal authority but all represent the same inviting challenge. The parable of the Good Samaritan alludes to the generosity that Christians and non-Christians alike demonstrate every day. (The Samaritan represents everyone who has heard the name of Jesus.) There can be no society or civilization without people who routinely give freely and without hesitation to friends and strangers alike. It's our nature!

Our sinful inclinations are, like the plea of poverty, obviated by the superabundant grace of Jesus's life, death, and resurrection. Go and do likewise

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.