Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Franciscan Feast of Our Lady of the Angels of Portiuncula

 Readings for the Feast of the Portiuncula

Over waves of the sea, over all the land, over every people and nation I held sway. Among all these I sought a resting place. In whose inheritance should I abide?
“Then the Creator of all gave me his command, and my Creator chose the spot for my tent. He said, ‘In Jacob make your dwelling, in Israel your inheritance.’
Before all ages, from the beginning, he created me, and through all ages I shall not cease to be. In the holy tent I ministered before him, and so I was established in Zion.
In the city he loves as he loves me, he gave me rest; in Jerusalem, my domain.  Ecclesiasticus 24:6-11 


Because we find prophecies, images, and teachings about Jesus, the Church, and the Holy Trinity throughout the Old Testament, Catholics do not hesitate to find as many references to Mary, the Mother of God in the same mystic pages. That school of typology (the search for types or symbols which anticipate the revelation) was not new when Saint Paul described Jesus as "the new Adam." 

Obedient to his command, we embrace the Mother of Jesus as our Mother. She is the New Jerusalem the magi found in Bethlehem when they entered the house of Joseph and prostrated before the Child. She is the temple overshadowed by the Holy Spirit when she heard and welcomed Gabriel's greeting. 

When Saint Francis discovered God's mercy in a little portion of land below Assisi -- called in Italian a portiuncula -- he wanted the whole world to come and be blessed as he was. Its tiny chapel was called "Our Lady of the Angels" and he didn't need a vision to know she lived there with the angels like a queen with her court. Indeed, "Over waves of the sea, over all the land, over every people and nation (she) held sway." 

Like the sheltering branches of a mighty tree her blessings, so glorious and so graceful, spread to anyone who asked. 

The custom of pilgrimages to Assisi and the Portiuncula began when Saint Francis realized that few Christians could afford the time or expense to travel to Rome or Jerusalem to atone for their sins. While the severe penance of journeying to distant lands, imposed on kings and autocrats, may have been just, it was not merciful when applied to the poor. It was more like a condemnation to eternal damnation. 

And so the Little Poor Man, who enjoyed the personal favor of Pope Honorius III, asked if his little chapel might be included among the most sacred sites in Christendom. Later pontiffs extended the privilege to every Catholic church in the world. Penitents who confess their sins and complete the prescribed penance are forgiven and granted particular indulgences toward their salvation. 

Whether they are burdened by mortal sin or not, everyone is invited to do penance and to praise God for the presence of the Queen of Angels in our hearts. She visits us as she visited her cousin Elizabeth, bringing her precious son and the Gospel of Mercy to our homes, churches, and cities. The feast of the Portiuncula is a happy occasion for all Catholics, and Franciscans in particular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.