Thursday, August 18, 2022

Thursday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 422

I will put my spirit within you and make you live by my statutes, careful to observe my decrees. You shall live in the land I gave your ancestors; you shall be my people, and I will be your God.


I have enough of the idolatrous spirit in my own heart to appreciate the fear and dread Ezekiel's words arouses among many people. They fear the name of God; they will not hear the word God. They insist that it comes with a hidden agenda, and a judgement of doom. 

And they're right about the hidden agenda, although it's not all that mysterious to those who read the Bible. The LORD intends to glorify his name by inspiring us with confidence, courage, and a wholesome ability to know right from wrong. We will be fully alive among people who fear to live, who continually demand more assurance, more security, and more power. Filled with God's Spirit we can laugh at funny things and find humor in hard times.  

Abandoning the pursuit of power, we let God be God. Clearly the LORD knows how to deal with powerful historical forces. The faithful see God's hand in the rise and fall of nations, economic boom and bust, climate change, and epidemic. When the secular mind would fasten faith to the ineluctable march of history, we ask who designed and decreed this predetermined march. If they point to the machinery of the universe, we ask why is it so vast and whence comes its beauty.

The secular philosophy fears the presence of an Other, especially one whose will and purpose outlast every human scheme. Even if that Other should intend only goodness for the beloved, they remember their disappointment and pain when they trusted human authorities, whether parents, friends, autocrats, or presidents. They believe that leaders always have a hidden agenda, some ill-defined purpose which serves only part of the good. And they're fine with their stony hearts and suspect the offer of a new heart and a new spirit. They cannot imagine the happiness of trusting God, much less trusting God-fearing people.

In response the faithful resolve to wait upon the Lord. We can neither change nor judge our neighbors; we have no right to do so. Raised voices and shouted threats of doom fall on deaf ears; they only hurt the throat and make us feel foolish. 

And we ponder today's first reading again. How lovely they sound. They are sweeter than honey

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.