Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Wednesday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 421

Thus says the Lord GOD: I swear I am coming against I will claim my sheep from them and put a stop to their shepherding my sheep so that they may no longer pasture themselves. I will save my sheep, that they may no longer be food for their mouths. For thus says the Lord GOD: I myself will look after and tend my sheep.


Today's reader of Ezekiel might assume the "shepherds" who are so roundly condemned in this passage are the bishops and priests of the Church. However, the rulers of an agrarian, shepherding society often presented themselves as shepherds to the nation, and there was no "wall" to separate religion and government. When the priest anointed the king they did so as government officials, and the king had religious authority over them. 

But, as the Lord speaks to his Church through the scriptures in every age, we can understand this text as a severe reminder of God's watchful eye over bishops of the Roman Catholic Church. Saint Augustine reminded his people and himself, "With you I am a Christian; for you I am a pastor." He stood under judgement in both ways, and the latter was more severe. He did not forget that he pastored sheep not his own. 

The confidence of the faithful in our time has been shaken by the discovery that bishops sometimes transferred priests suspected of pedophilia or ephebophilia from one parish to another; and often repeatedly. They foolishly (or criminally) accepted the offending pastor's denials and counter-accusations, and thus abetted his criminal behavior when they sent him to another parish or school. Some prosecutors have compared their misdeeds to that of organized crime and brought RICO charges against them.

That the Canon Law of the Church severely limited their authority over the priests was little excuse; they should have called the district attorney and the police to address the crime anyway. That would not be an easy choice, and would certainly destroy the career of an ambitious prelate. But, as they often remind the faithful, the Gospel's challenge is not supposed to be easy.

In the ongoing discussion over this tragedy, we have begun to realize how powerfully a subculture can limit one's choices. Police, doctors, and lawyers are just as reluctant to inform on one another as the clergy of every religion. Pope Francis has rightfully called it "clericalism" and demanded that we recognize the potential threat of a clerical subculture. While it is good that deacons, priests, and bishops support one another they must also appreciate the danger of their authority. The electrician who does not respect the power of electricity has a brief career, as should the cleric.

A democratic society, genetically suspicious of its elected leaders and willing to replace incompetent or unworthy office holders, should be quite capable of policing its religious institutions. Nor do they need to elect their ministers as they vote with their donations, their attendance, and their participation.

Ezekiel's severe threats and today's gospel remind the Church that we are being watched by a just God who has unlimited authority to punish. He alone decides what is just; he alone administers mercy; and our every thought, word, and deed are subject to his authority.

I recently reflected on Jesus's reluctance to grant the Syro-Phoenician woman's request. He had to make a choice between his understanding of his mission and his human compassion for a woman in distress. It was not an easy choice and he took a grave risk by showing mercy to her; nor was his choice vindicated until much later, on that miraculous Easter Sunday.

We make our choices daily between justice and mercy, severity and relaxation, obedience and freedom; and pray that the Spirit of God guides us.

My son, to my words be attentive,
to my sayings incline your ear...
With all vigilance guard your heart,
for in it are the sources of life.
Dishonest mouth put away from you,
deceitful lips put far from you.
Let your eyes look straight ahead
and your gaze be focused forward.
Survey the path for your feet,
and all your ways will be sure.
Turn neither to right nor to left,
keep your foot far from evil. Proverbs 4:20-27

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.