Thursday, August 11, 2022

Memorial of Saint Clare, Virgin

Lectionary: 416


Peter approached Jesus and asked him, “Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?”
Jesus answered, “I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times.


Which of us has not asked the Lord the same question, and been surprised by his answer? Peter's suggestion of seven seems like more than enough. We make some exceptions for children since they need more than seven "passes" from their parents; and young couples, who thought they knew each other, must learn to practice forgiveness for things great and small. 

But we might suppose an errant "brother" or "sister"  -- that is, a fellow member of one's church -- has used up their limit after one sin and six relapses. "Enough is enough!" we might declare. 

Jesus's response is more than a number. He might reply to our persistent questions, "But who's counting? Are you? Of all people, are you counting?" His command of seventy-seven times means endless openness. It is the sun which never stops shining; the rain that always returns; the cross which blesses continually. 

He doesn't, however, say we should forget seventy-seven times. No one can change the past; no one should forget the past. And the problem might be a too-ready forgiveness which "forgets," and ignores what is happening, and pretends it never happened. 

Habitual anger, persistent relapses, or passive aggressive behaviors need attention. They might want a probing question, "What is going on? Why are you behaving this way?" 

They might not respond to the first challenge but, like the fellow who would not get up in the night to give his neighbor several loaves of bread, they will have to respond to persistence: "I am here in your life. I am not going away. Tell me why you're acting like this? I want to know; I deserve to know. How can I help? We can work this out, and we'll get whatever help we need." 

Jesus tells a story today of a criminal who wasted his opportunity to show mercy. In a moment when he should have been overwhelmed with his master's kindness and floating on cloud nine with elated gladness of heart -- he revealed the depravity of his own soul. In an instant he was handed over to torturers

Jesus is not kidding about the importance of forgiveness. His passion and death demonstrate his commitment, which is to the end. We must also go to the end. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.