Sunday, August 14, 2022

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 120

"I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing! There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!
Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth?
No, I tell you, but rather division.


I retired from the chaplaincy of the nearby VA hospital in March. When I mentioned my latest aspiration, to be a "spiritual director," several people have remarked, "We need that!" 

Does that mean."We need to set the earth on fire?" I'm not sure I'm ready for that, nor are my potential directees. Spiritual direction is nothing if not gentle; perhaps as gentle as the boy scout who has learned to blow a flint-and-steel spark into a flicker, then a flame, and finally a campfire. I would hope they would be more Mother Theresa than John Brown of Civil War fame, or even Saint Bernard who preached the first crusade.

As Jesus knew, indigenous farmers have used fire for centuries to prepare their lands for cultivation. Agricultural researchers are discussing this with aboriginal peoples in Australia and North America. Fire is especially good for burning out invasive species and restoring native plants. 

There seem to be a lot of Americans ready to set the nation on fire. Depending on their politics some would clear the field of racism to nurture diversity, while others would burn aliens species to promote an anemic monoculture. Given Jesus's mixed ancestry, his memory of exile in Egypt, and his familiarity with merchants and migrants through Galilee, he would not understand "racial purity," or see a need for it. 

Catholics, familiar with the Sacred Heart of Jesus, understand his meaning more readily. Saint Theresa of Avila, who was as familiar with building fires as any Boy Scout, taught her sisters to nurture the flames of love in their hearts slowly and carefully. The novice should not throw logs of self-sacrifice -- things like long fasts, all-night vigils, hair shirts and and self-scourging -- onto the tiny flame. They should begin with small gifts like reciting their prayers and memorizing scripture verses. They should volunteer to sweep the floor, fold laundry, and fill water glasses for the elderly sisters. Small gifts done in love are infinitely superior to huge donations given in vanity, for appearance sake. 

Even today, as the world seems ready to erupt in violence, the disciple of Jesus turns aside from the screaming memes and alarming headlines to spend time with the LORD. As I listened to the news this morning, perhaps fifteen minutes while driving, I heard the same stories twice. Thanks, but no thanks. 

Let's turn off the news and turn to the Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.